980true thumbnails under 300true false 800none
  • 5000 slideleft false 60 bottom 30
  • 5000 slideleft false 60 bottom 30 http://marionswcd.org/soil/stop-that-dirt-campaign/
  • 5000 slideright true 60 bottom 30 http://marionswcd.org/water/water-sheds/
    Click Here for Cost Share funding opportunities for water quality

Welcome to Marion County Soil and Water Conservation District


What’s New in Indianapolis, IN?

Welcome to our website!  We hope you will find the layout easy to use. Take a few minutes to tour the site. If you have any suggestions for changes or additional information, please let us know. We want this site to be as useful as possible for you.

For future visits you will find the newest updates right here on our home page and also under the “News” tab above.



The Marion County SWCD’s quarterly newsletters and annual report will now only be available online in order to conserve resources.  You can find our newsletters under the NEWS tab on our website or we will email a copy to you upon request.

To be added to our email list please contact Marilyn at






SWCD Welcomes New Soil Health Program

& Urban Soil Health Specialist Kevin Allison

Kevin AllisonKevin serves as Marion County Soil and Water Conservation District’s Urban Soil Health Specialist.  He is focused on assisting land users in applying the principles of Soil Health to gardens and small farms for the benefit of soil function and the environment.  His background includes work with conservation cropping systems in large-scale agriculture as well as 3 years of service in the Peace Corps Dominican Republic’s Community Environmental Development sector.  Kevin holds a BS in Environmental Science from Indiana University.  He serves on the Southwest Regional Soil Health Team and the Inter-agency Working Group for alternative and organic agriculture. He can be reached at kevin-allison@iaswcd.org or call the Marion County SWCD office at 317-786-1776.


Visit our website often this spring to jump in on the benefits and cost share opportunities that are developing through the urban soil health program.





IUPUI offers Soils Class

The SWCD highly recommends IUPUI’s soils class for everyone!  Soil affects our lives in so many ways, whether we grow vegetables or flowers in our yards, plant trees, build a home, or have a septic system — the soil we live on makes a difference!  Come learn how to make good decisions based on the type of soil we are working with. You will save time, money and maybe save yourself a whole lot of aggravation by knowing and using your soil type according to its natural characteristics. 

Register Now!  Click the link below for more information:

IUPUI Soils Class


What’s in Your Wild Backyard?

Kids contest hosted by the Indiana Wildlife Federation

Certified_Garden_at_69_Grove_St_-_Summer_2005[1]Hey kids!  Enter IWF’s Kids Contest to have fun and earn great prizes!  All children from 1st through 8th grade in Indiana can compete from now until Earth Day, April 22nd.  Click the link below to go to the quiz and enter the contest!  Good Luck and have fun!

IWF Kids Contest

Lend a Hand – Farmers Helping Urban Farmers Program 

Fall Creek Gardens


The Fall Creek Watershed Project has initiated a program to help urban farmers, gardeners and conservationists share their needs with their rural farming neighbors. Urban gardening projects who are in need of a variety of materials have created a list of their needs. Rural farmers, horse and poultry owners, gardening centers and other who wish to help supply these needs can contact Leslie White, Backyard Conservation Coordinator for the Fall Creek Watershed Project ( leslie-white@iaswcd.org).  While this project is initially being started to help projects in the Fall Creek watershed, it is hoped that the idea will soon spread to other counties and communities.


Check our Small Farms website page often for updates on how you can help.  For more information click HERE.













Water Water Everywhere!  Standing Water  – Wet Crawlspace – Flooding Basement ???


If all the rain we’ve been having lately is causing drainage problems our website can get you started on the road to a solution.


Click Here to go to our Drainage Pages














Phone Number for Citizens Energy Group for Community Drainage Concerns


Please make a note of the new Citizens Energy Group contact number:  924-3311. Residents with flooding, storm water issues, manhole cover capping recess concerns or other water issues, this is the number to call. Citizens Energy Group is responsible for maintaining city storm drains. For technical assistance with drainage problems on private property you can continue to contact the Soil & Water Conservation District 786-1776. 


More help and information on drainage problems around your home can be found on our website under the Soils tab – Soils Types & Drainage section.