More Ideas for Going Green
The Marion County Soil & Water Conservation District is involved in helping our county’s residents find information to help them become conservationists – wise users of our natural resources. We continually try to find new and innovative ways to help us make good decisions. We believe small steps taken by a large number of people will make a substantially positive impact on the health and well being of our community.
Below you will find our latest info & links to helpful websites and programs.
- Backyard Conservation Websites
- Conservation Planning
- Sustain Indy
- Backyard Conservation Program brochure
- SWCD Sustainability Summit Presentation
1029 Fletcher Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46203
Environmental Education Assistance
Indiana is blessed to have a number of wonderful people, agencies and organizations who are actively involved in environmental education. Workshops, seminars, and resources are available for anyone who is interested in teaching students of all ages about our natural resources. Nature provides an opportunity for all of us to develop a true love for learning as it is extraordinarily interesting and diverse. Studies have shown that children who have the opportunity to study nature in an outdoor environment learn and retain information better. This is especially true of children who often struggle in traditional learning environments, such as those with ADD and ADHD.
Below are just a few of the resources, agencies and organizations that are available for educators:
- Publication explaining the process of developing an outdoor classroom – any outdoor area, small or large, where hands-on learning can take place. Many sample plans are included along with details for potential learning stations. Please be patient, it may take a little time for it to upload. This is a 40 page pdf booklet: Guidelines & Features for Outdoor Classrooms
- The Environmental Education Association of Indiana – a wonderful group of people interested in promoting education, motivation and inspiration for natural resource conservation and a healthy environment for all of Indiana. We highly recommend their annual conferences. More info.
Environmental and Ecological Education Programs – The Indiana Department of Natural Resources provides a number of excellent education programs for teachers of students K-12. These programs / curriculum easily correlate nature with all subject matters and can be tied to state education standards.
- For information on Project Wild, Project WET and GoFishIN click here
- For information on Project Learning Tree click here
- Get hands-on learning experiences and help with water quality monitoring through the Indiana River Watch program provided by the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. For more information click here
Fun and Education for Families
- The Hoosier Outdoor Experience is Indiana’s largest, hands-on outdoor recreation event. Held on the grounds of Fort Harrison State Park, the free event features more than 50 activities and 120 grassroots partners. Activities range from fishing to riding in off-road vehicles. Click here for more information
- State Park Programs – We are privileged to have many beautiful state parks in Indiana. State Parks often provide wonderful activities and workshops throughout the year that are ideal for family fun and learning together. Click here for more information.